Blackened Cheddar Cheese Grits | Spice of the Month - September 2014
Blackened Cheddar Cheese Grits
About: Nothing says southern comfort food much more than a warm bowl of cheese grits, and these grits fit the bill. We used our Blackened Rib Rub in this recipe to kick things up a notch. If you add in some sautéed onion and green pepper, then you are on your way to the makings of a spectacular shrimp and grits dinner. Serves 4 people.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup yellow corn grits
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon Marietta Spice Mill Blackened Rib Rub
- 1 cup freshly grated mild cheddar cheese
Bring water, salt, and 1 tbsp butter to a boil in a heavy sauce pan. Gradually stir in grits using a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to a low simmer, cover, and stir frequently until water is absorbed which takes approximately 10 minutes.
- Gradually stir in milk 1/4 cup at a time while keeping grits at a low simmer. Once milk is incorporated, continue cooking at a low simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally to keep grits from sticking to bottom of pan for about 25 minutes or until grits are thick and creamy.
- Stir in remaining tablespoon of butter, black pepper, Blackened Rib Rub, and cheddar cheese.