Carrot Ginger Soup | Spice of the Month - November 2014
About: This is a healthy and easy to prepare soup that is great for the days in between holiday meals. It is smooth and creamy without the fat. By eating this soup, you are guaranteed to loosen your belt by only one notch instead of the customary two by the end of the holiday season.
Recipe Type: Soup
- 1.5 pounds carrots sliced in rounds
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 3 slices of orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- Salt to taste
- Parsley, dill or chives for garnish
- Heat butter in heavy soup pot. Add onions and carrots to pot and cook until tender. Feel free to add some salt as the veggies cook. Do not allow vegetables to brown.
- Stir in chicken stock, water, orange rind, ginger, and salt to taste. Bring to a boil and then simmer while partially covered until carrots are soft (approximately 20-30 min).
- Remove orange rind. Use an immersion blender to puree soup until smooth and creamy.
- Add garnish and enjoy!